The City of Sarasota is committed to improving its wastewater system and providing reliable service for its utility customers. The Lift Station 87 Project is an important part of that commitment. The new lift station and sewer mains will handle about one-third of the city’s wastewater flow.
In July 2015, the City Commission approved the Lift Station 87 project for final design and construction. The project now includes a number of enhancements to ensure reliable water and wastewater service to area customers:
- Lift Station 87 is being built above-ground to withstand a Category 3 storm surge
- Reclaimed water mains will be installed to provide the area with an environmentally friendly source of irrigation water
- Aging water mains will be replaced to improve water pressure
- New sewer mains will be installed
- Roadways will be fully resurfaced curb to curb and
- Lift Station 7 will be demolished and the site will be returned to a park-like setting, once decommissioned.
Phase 1 – Microtunneling has been successfully completed. The project is currently in Phase 2 – Lift Station 87 construction. The overall project is scheduled to be completed by March 2021.